Real Madrid believes it is not at fault for fielding ineligible player
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez believes the club is not at fault for playing an ineligble player during its Copa Del Ray match against Cadiz on Wednesday, because neither the club or winger Denis Cheryshev were informed of his suspension, the club announced on Thursday.
Cheryshev should have faced a one-game suspension after accumulating three yellow cards while playing with Villarreal during the 2014 Copa Del Ray. Instead, manager Rafael Benitez played Cheryshev, who scored the first goal in the 3–1 Real Madrid win, for the first half.
Cheryshev was removed before halftime after Real Madrid realized its error.
Fielding an ineligible player could lead to Real Madrid being disqualified from the tournament, however the club claims that the failure on the part of the tournament to notify it of the suspension should nullify the punishment.
“The one-match ban for three yellow cards in our view is not effective because no one has notified the player as specified in item 41.2 of the disciplinary code of the RFEF,” Perez said.
Cheryshev also said that he was never told by his former club that he was suspended.
“I did not receive any notification from Villarreal to inform me that I had been banned from playing in the Copa del Rey,” he said.