BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Wednesday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. EDT:
- PITTSBURGH - The San Francisco Giants and Pittsburgh Pirates meet in the NL wild card game. Edinson Volquez (13-7, 3.04 ERA) starts for the Pirates against San Francisco's Madison Bumgarner (18-10, 2.98). The winner faces Washington in the NL Division Series.
- FOXBOROUGH, Mass.In the second most lopsided loss of his NFL career, Tom Brady was replaced by rookie Jimmy Garoppolo with nearly 11 minutes left in the Kansas City Chiefs 41-14 rout of the New England Patriots. Now Brady must prepare to face the Cincinnati Bengals, the only unbeaten team in the AFC.
- CINCINNATIThe biggest problem with the Bengals' offense has been their reliance on field goals. They think that's about to change now that receiver Marvin Jones is ready to return.
- BALTIMORE - The Detroit Tigers' starting pitchers in the first three games of the AL Division Series have a combined 329 career wins and three Cy Young Awards. Baltimore's starters have lesser numbers, yet they don't necessarily have to outpitch their counterparts to help the Orioles advance.
- ANAHEIM, Calif. - When Mike Trout asked Albert Pujols for advice on his playoff debut, the veteran slugger told baseball's best young player to keep the same swing when the Los Angeles Angels step into the October spotlight. They'll host the AL Division Series opener Thursday night against the Kansas City Royals, who must concoct a quick encore to their incredible 12-inning comeback victory in the wild-card game.
- EUGENE, Ore. - Last season Arizona went after Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota early and kept up the pressure. Expect the same when the Wildcats visit the No. 2 Ducks Thursday night at Autzen Stadium
- CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The most frightening round of NASCAR's new elimination format championship system begins this weekend at Kansas Superspeedway. Drivers have feared the Kansas-Martinsville-Talladega stretch from the very beginning.