BC-AP Sports Preview Digest
Some of the sports stories The Associated Press is covering Friday. A full Sports Digest will be sent at about 3 p.m. EDT:
- AKRON, Ohio - Marc Leishman leads by one shot going into the second round of the Bridgestone Invitational. Tiger Woods, trying to make a late-season push after back surgery, is four shots behind.
- OAKLAND, Calif. - The Athletics introduce Jon Lester a day after acquiring the All-Star left-hander in a blockbuster trade from Boston along with Jonny Gomes for Yoenis Cespedes.
- ST. LOUIS - The Cardinals, who added two starting pitchers at the trade deadline, start ace Adam Wainwright (13-5) in the series opener against NL Central-leading Milwaukee. Game starts 8:15 p.m.
- CANTON, Ohio - Michael Strahan brings the buzz and Andre Reed the emotion. And Ray Guy is bringing a 20-member punter posse. The three are among Saturday's seven inductees to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
- BEREA, Ohio - The Browns' Josh Gordon has his appeal hearing in New York. The Pro Bowl receiver is fighting a possible drug suspension that could have a major impact on Cleveland's season.
- BALTIMORE - No matter how many gold medals he wins, Michael Phelps he always comes back to Baltimore. He trains alongside frolicking kids and sunbathing teens in the no-frills pool where it all began.
- GLASGOW, Scotland - Commonwealth Games organizers insist there is no evidence of Ebola at the competition. A Sierra Leone cyclist passes tests for the deadly virus.
- GLASGOW, Scotland - Sixteen-year-old weightlifter Chika Amalaha of Nigeria is stripped of her Commonwealth Games gold medal for doping.
- MOSCOW - Three clubs from the Crimea region annexed by Russia will play in Russian leagues this season. The Ukrainian soccer federation has asked FIFA and European's soccer's ruling body to intervene.
- LONG POND, Pa - Dale Earnhardt Jr. is back at the scene of his last victory. He would love to win again and cap a week in which he learned Greg Ives will be his crew chief in 2015.
- AUBURN, Ala. - Defending SEC champion Auburn opens camp, with the most immediate question the status of quarterback Nick Marshall. He was cited over the summer for marijuana possession.
- SOUTH BEND, Ind. - Although coach Brian Kelly has Notre Dame winning again - four straight winning seasons for the first time in 15 years - the goal is to be consistently better.