Chicago Cubs manager Dale Sveum said on Saturday that the Cubs are not going to sign free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder, according to ESPN.com.
"There haven't been any discussions with us for Prince, that's just not going to happen," Sveum said at the Cubs’ fan convention on Saturday. "We have our first baseman in Bryan LaHair and [Anthony] Rizzo waiting in the wings as well. We're doing OK with big power left-handed hitters right now. "
The Cubs have been one of the teams rumored to be interested in Fielder, who met with the Texas Rangers yesterday. The team, however, acquired Rizzo from San Diego last week as a player to build around; Rizzo, 22, hit .331 with 26 home runs and 101 RBIs in Triple-A last season.
Fielder, who turns 28 in May, hit .299 with 38 home runs and 120 RBIs last season. Besides the Rangers, the other team reported to be interested is the Washington Nationals.