Detroit Lions running back Javhid Best has been cleared for contact in June, according to the team’s official site.
“He’s been doing everything in the offseason program and we expect he’ll be cleared sometime probably in June,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told Mike O’Hara and Ken Brown on WJR Monday night. “We look forward to having him on the field.”
“Those doctors felt like it just made sense to do that in June,” Mayhew said. “It gives him the most time. “We are not doing anything that involves any contact and he’s been cleared to do everything that we’re doing right now and he’ll be officially cleared for contact in June.”
Best missed the final 10 games of the Lions regular season after suffering a concussion in a 19-25 Week 6 loss to the San Francisco 49ers. The 23-year-old suffered through post-concussion symptoms through the remainder of the year, it was reported that some close to him urged him to consider retirement. The concussion was Best’s second of the year, the 23-year old had previously suffered one after a blow to the head in the NFL’s shortened pre-season. The versatile back also had a history of concussions during his college career at the University of California.