Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com and TSN reported on the Canadian network on Wednesday that he had been told that Boston Bruins goaltender Tim Thomas is considering taking off the 2012-13 season after a stress-filled '11-12 campaign. (TSN video here, ESPN.com story here.)
"Among the other options I'm told that Tim Thomas is considering is maybe not playing next season," LeBrun said. "Again, I'm not saying that it's gonna happen for sure, but I was told today that he's thinking about maybe taking the year off."
Thomas, a two-time Vezina winner who backstopped Boston to the Stanley Cup in 2011, has been mentioned as a possible trade candidate because of his age (38), his contract status (he is entering the final year of his deal and his no-trade clause expires on July 1), his continued high level of play, and the presence of Tukka Rask. Moreover, after Thomas' boycott of and subsequent criticism of the White House, he had to deal with a lot of backlash from fans and the community.
LeBrun's TSN colleague, Bob McKenzie, had this take on LeBrun's report: https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/208343907111669761