Paulo Sousa will not become the next head coach of the New York Red Bulls according to a report in Portuguese publication O Jogo via MLSsoccer.com.
Sousa has been linked to the Red Bulls opening since the team said Hans Backe would not return in 2013. A person familiar with the situation told the Associated Press that Sousa had agreed to terms on January 15. However, the O Jogo report said the former Portugese star and the Red Bulls have ended talks.
The Red Bulls declined to comment on the report when contacted by MLSsoccer.com on Tuesday.
The Red Bulls could now be forced to consider making lead assistant Mike Petke -- who has no previous head coaching experience -- the team’s permanent head coach, according to soccerbyives.com. Sousa, who left Videoton, a Hungarian team earlier in Janaury, previously managed Swansea City, Queens Park Rangers and Leicester City in England.