Elvis Dumervil offered contract from Broncos, says John Elway
It's been a whirlwind of a free agency so far for Elvis Dumervil, his former agent and the Denver Broncos -- a whirlwind that may end back where it began. The three-time Pro Bowl defensive end has received an offer to return to the team that cut him less than a week ago after his agent failed to meet a deadline for his renegotiated contract.
The agent, Marty Magid, has since parted ways with Dumervil and has hired an attorney in case he faces litigation or discipline from the NFL Players Association.
Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway confirmed that the team wants Dumervil to return and has offered him a contract, though he wouldn't go into specifics about the terms of the proposed deal, according to a report late Tuesday night from Mike Kils of the Denver Post:
"We've offered Elvis a contract. We'd like to have Elvis back."
According to the report, it is "expected" that the contract will be for three years and "considerably less" than the $30 million of his initial deal. As Kils points out, the situation is slightly complicated by the fact that Dumervil's new agent, Tom Condon, also represents pass-rushing defensive end Dwight Freeney who is among those players considered as a "back up plan" for the Broncos.Earlier, Jeff Legwold of the Denver Post reported that Broncos head coach John Fox said Dumervil was "in the mix" to return, but now it appears that he will in fact head back to Denver, unless the Baltimore Ravens, the only other team known at this time to be in play for him, can secure a deal, according to CBS Sports NFL Inside Jason La Canfora.