Three suspects have been taken into custody in connection with the bombings at the Boston Marathon, the Boston police department announced.
From a release on the department website:
"Please be advised that there is not threat to public safety. Three additional suspects have been taken into custody in connection to the attack on the Boston Marathon. Aside from the aforementioned, there is no additional info to release at this time. Additional details will be provided when they become available. No info available at this time relative to a press conference."
Brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev were previously identified as suspects. Tamerlan died of injuries sustained during a gunfight with authorities. Dzhokhar was wounded in the brothers' attempt to escape capture on April 19. He was charged with using a weapon of mass destruction and malicious destruction of property.
On April 15, two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three and injuring more than 260.
The Boston Globe reported that the three suspects taken into custody today were connected to Dzokhar Tsarnaev, and a separate source told The Globe that the suspects allegedly helped Dzokhar after the bombings.
Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said he was told the arrests were for "crimes after the fact," according to a tweet by The Globe's Michael Levenson.