UNSUPPORTED BROWSER
SI Wire

Chargers CEO: Team won't move to Los Angeles

The Chargers CEO says he is committed to San Diego. (Donald Miralle/Getty Images) The Chargers CEO says he is committed to staying in San Diego. (Donald Miralle/Getty Images)

San Diego Chargers president and CEO Dean Spanos said Tuesday that his team won't move to Los Angeles and expressed a firm commitment to the city, reports NFL.com.

Spanos says the team will continue to search for options to replace Qualcomm Stadium, which opened in 1967.  Los Angeles has not had a team since the Raiders moved to Oakland and the Rams moved to St. Louis after the 1994 season.

"I've said this the last 10 years. The Chargers belong in San Diego," Spanos said. "That's where we want to be. We're going to continue to try to get something done in San Diego."

"Obviously, we know what's going on up in L.A., but we have never used L.A. as leverage against the city of San Diego," he said. "I won't do that. Like I said, our goal is to be in the city of San Diego and we'll continue to try to get something done there."

More from NFL.com:

Anschutz Entertainment Group, which owns and operates the Staples Center in L.A., previously was reported to be interested in building a new stadium near the L.A. Live entertainment complex, possibly for a football team. This concept appears to be at a standstill for now. Spanos insisted that issue has no bearing on the Chargers' plans.
Promoted Stories
Comments
SI.com

Drag this icon to your bookmark bar.
Then delete your old SI.com bookmark.

SI.com

Click the share icon to bookmark us.