If a deal is not reached, Spencer, who the Cowboys franchised at $10.6 million, will become a free agent when the 2013 season ends. The Pro Bowl defensive end had a career-high 11 sacks last season, adding to his 32.5 sacks in six seasons in Dallas.
In May, he told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram he wasn't worried about contract negotiations and wanted to remain a Cowboy.
From the Star-Telegram:
"I'm really not worried about it," Spencer said Tuesday on the second week of OTAs. "I come here, I work, and then I go home and relax. If it gets done, it gets done. I have the same attitude I had last year. It ended up working out for me, so I don't worry about it much." I want to be here for the rest of my career," Spencer said. "Hopefully we can get that done. If we can’t, then so be it."
Spencer could be seeking a package similar to Paul Kruger's five-year, $41 million deal in Cleveland that included $20 million guaranteed. BURKE: Unheralded Jeff Mathews intriguing scouts in year of star-studded QBs