UNSUPPORTED BROWSER
SI Wire

Report: Aaron Hernandez to remain in solitary confinement for own safety

Aaron Hernandez has been jailed since his arrest on June 26. (Boston Globe) Aaron Hernandez has been jailed on murder charges since his arrest on June 26. (Boston Globe)

TMZ reports Bristol County Jail officials have decided Aaron Hernandez should remain in solitary confinement rather than being moved to general population.

The former New England Patriots tight end charged with the first-degree murder of Odin Lloyd has been jailed since being arrested on June 26.

MCCANN: Released Aaron Hernandez evidence damning, but questions remain

From TMZ:

As we previously reported, the alleged murderer was placed in solitary right after he was booked -- fearing violent inmates might view the former NFL star as a "prize."  But officials vowed to review Aaron's situation and would consider moving him if they felt it was safe.

But officials met yesterday and a rep for the jail tells TMZ ... after serious discussion, they decided NOT to move Hernandez, believing it would be in his "best interest" to stay. The insinuation -- he's still in danger.

The jail rep says the ex-NFL star is "doing well" behind bars ... and hasn't had any problems so far.

TMZ's source also said Hernandez has been receiving regular visitors, but could not release the visitors' names.

More SI Wire

SI.com

Drag this icon to your bookmark bar.
Then delete your old SI.com bookmark.

SI.com

Click the share icon to bookmark us.