Reports: Players involved in Biogenesis scandal ready to accept suspensions
Many Major League Baseball players facing suspensions from the Biogenesis investigation plan to accept bans of 50 games or more, reports Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan. But New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez is not one of them and plans to the fight any suspension, even with the threat of a lifetime ban looming, reports say.
The New York Post's Joel Sherman reports on Twitter that the suspensions for most players are expected to be handed down by Friday.
Reports have said as many as two dozen players could be suspended in total in connection with the Biogenesis scandal.
From Yahoo! Sports:
Faced with a litany of evidence including text messages to Biogenesis clinic founder Tony Bosch promising to send money in exchange for performance-enhancing drugs, upward of a dozen players are expected to agree to suspensions offered by the league within the next 72 hours, sources said.
Rodriguez, meanwhile, is obstinate in his plans to appeal any suspension despite what one source deemed “overwhelming” evidence tying him to extensive performance-enhancing drug use as well as interfering with the league’s investigation into Biogenesis, the south Florida wellness clinic at the center of the latest PED controversy.
Sherman reports that the nine players told of their impending suspensions include Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta and Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli.
Last week, Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun was suspended for the rest of the season for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal. Rodriguez is the wildcard in the Biogenesis negotiations. Reports say he will likely be suspended both for his repeated steroid use and for attempting to tamper with the investigation. He has denied all allegations. The Yankees slugger reportedly face a suspension of at least 150 games.