Wimbledon champ Marion Bartoli announces retirement
Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli announced Wednesday night that she is retiring from tennis following a loss in Cincinnati.
Bartoli, who was ranked seventh in the world, was beaten 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 by Simona Halep in the second round of the Cincinnati Open. She said she called her father to let him know of her decision.
Bartoli said her Achilles, shoulder, hips and lower back hurt when she plays.
"I have pain everywhere after 45 minutes or an hour of play…. it's just body wise I just can't do it anymore," Bartoli said after the match.
"Everyone will remember my Wimbledon title. No one will remember the last match I played here. That was probably the last little bit of something that was left inside me," she said about her Wimbledon title.
The 28-year-old beat Sabine Lisicki 6-1, 6-4 in the Wimbledon final last month in her 47th appearance at a major. She finishes her career with eight WTA singles titles.
Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli has announced she is retiring from tennis following her loss today in Cincinnati. — ESPNTennis (@ESPNTennis) August 15, 2013