UNSUPPORTED BROWSER
SI Wire

Report: Rajon Rondo unlikely to be ready for Celtics season opener

Rajon Rondo declared that he would never play for the Miami Heat. (Jared Wickerham/Getty Images) Rajon Rondo may not be ready for the Celtics' season-opener.  (Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

The Celtics have shied away from establishing a timetable for Rajon Rondo's return to action. Shortly after the all-star point-guard suffered a torn right ACL last January, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge stated that Rondo would be back for the start of the 2013-14 season. Now, while the all-star point-guard doesn't appear to have suffered a setback in his recovery, it seems likely that he will miss the Celtics' preseason and some regular-season games, according to CSN New England. The Celtics open their regular season Oct. 30 in Toronto.

Rondo, who had his knee surgically repaired by Dr. James Andrews on Feb. 15, was in Boston last week to work with new head coach Brad Stevens.

MCCLANAGHAN: Behind the scenes with Kevin Durant, Kevin Love and Derrick Rose

From CSN New England:

"He's obviously limited in what he can do on the court," Stevens said. "But he's a worker. That was one thing that was very noticeable."

Stevens said no timetable has been set for Rondo's return, adding that he had not inquired about Rondo's return in the past couple of weeks.

"That's something that you have to balance," Stevens said. "You are going to introduce some things that may be best for him Oct. 7 in our first exhibition game, and he may not be available. So you're gonna have to figure out where you go from there and how to best fit pieces into those spots.

Stevens added, "but we have a lot of versatile guys. I think we'll be able to, when he's not playing, do things conducive to the skill-sets of others. And when he's playing, incorporate him into it easily."

More SI Wire

SI.com

Drag this icon to your bookmark bar.
Then delete your old SI.com bookmark.

SI.com

Click the share icon to bookmark us.