Police stopped investigating an alleged sexual battery involving Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston when the accuser "changed her mind" about pursuing the case, according to an email obtained Tuesday by the Tallahassee Democrat.
An attorney for Winston denied the reported allegations against his client after they emerged last week.
The email, sent by Tallahassee city manager Anita Favors Thompson to the city commissioners on Nov. 12, states that police began to have trouble contacting the woman a few months after the December 2012 incident:
“Shortly thereafter a representative of the young woman’s family who is an attorney contacted TPD and said the young woman had changed her mind and did not wish to prosecute,” the email said.
The email was sent to Tallahassee officials in response to media requests to access the police report. A redacted copy of the police report was released last Wednesday.
A Tallahassee police department spokesperson told the Democrat that the case's designation was changed from "open-inactive" to "open-active" last week after a new piece of information emerged. When contacted by the police department after the media requests about the case, the accuser's attorney reportedly asked no information regarding her client or the case be released to the media, in compliance with the state's Rape Shield Law.