UNSUPPORTED BROWSER
SI Wire

Report: Bud Selig rejected Oakland A's proposed move to San Jose

Bud Selig (Brad Mangin/Getty Images) Bud Selig was not satisfied with the Athletics' proposal for a move to San Jose. (Brad Mangin/Getty Images)

MLB commissioner Bud Selig told the Oakland A's six months ago that they wouldn't be allowed to move to San Jose, according to a court filing on Friday from MLB attorneys, writes Bill Shaikin in The Los Angeles Times.

The formal notification letter was not included in the filing, but the attorneys wrote that Selig "was not satisfied with the club's relocation proposal," and that the rejection was Selig's "final decision."

SI WIRE: David Ortiz says Yankees lost "the face" of their team in Robinson Cano

However, the decision was specific to this proposal and does not mean the A's won't be allowed to move at all, a source told Shaikin. Neither A's managing partner Lew Wolff nor the league would comment on Saturday.

O.co Coliseum has been the Athletics' home since they moved to Oakland in 1968. They recently agreed to a lease through the 2015 season, which gives them time to persuade Selig — or his successor — to reconsider their plan for relocation.

Wolff had previously said he has no interest in moving the team from the Bay Area.

San Jose is about 40 miles south of Oakland.

CORCORAN: Mike Napoli, Red Sox agree on two-year deal

More SI Wire

SI.com

Drag this icon to your bookmark bar.
Then delete your old SI.com bookmark.

SI.com

Click the share icon to bookmark us.