Fifty million people had more than 185 million Facebook interactions related to the Seattle Seahawks' 43-8 win over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII on Sunday, according to Facebook.
Twitter reports more than 24.9 million tweets during the game, topping the 24.1 million tweets sent during last year's Super Bowl XLVII.
The two social media companies also released information about the most popular moments on their platforms.
Facebook's list of the five most buzzed-about moments:
- Seattle's Percy Harvin opens the second half with an 87-yard kickoff return for a touchdown
- Jermaine Kearse catches a 23-yard touchdown pass to extend Seattle's lead
- Seattle's Malcolm Smith intercepts Peyton Manning and returns it for a touchdown in the second quarter
- The final whistle blows, giving the Seahawks their first Super Bowl crown
- Demaryius Thomas scores Denver's first and only touchdown
According to Twitter, the game's moments that generated the biggest spikes in tweets per minute were:
Harvin's 87-yard kickoff return for a TD to open third quarter (8:32pm EST): 381,605 TPM
Kearse's 23-yard touchdown pass from Russell Wilson with 3:11 remaining in the third quarter (9:03pm EST): 271,775 TPM
Smith's 69-yard interception return with 3:36 remaining in the second quarter (7:39pm EST): 244,889 TPM
End of halftime show featuring Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers (8:23pm EST): 229,533 TPM
The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bruno Mars singing "Give It Away" (8:18pm EST): 215,540 TPM