Scooby Axson
Friday March 28th, 2014

The Chargers CEO says he is committed to San Diego. (Donald Miralle/Getty Images) Opened in 1967, San Diego's Qualcomm Stadium is one of the NFL's oldest venues. (Donald Miralle/Getty Images)

The San Diego Chargers and the city's mayor have begun the process of discussing a deal that will hopefully lead to a new stadium being built, reports Eric D. Williams of

Mayor Kevin Faulconer, who took office earlier this month, said he wants to keep the team in San Diego, but said he is not going to do it at the taxpayer's expense.

"The Chargers are incredibly important to the city and the region," Faulconer said. "I firmly believe that it's incumbent for everyone to work together. My main priority is going to be ensuring that any proposal that moves forward protects us as taxpayers here in San Diego. That will be my guiding principle. But I'm confident that we can achieve that."

No formal talks have begun between the two sides, but Faulconer said that conversations will happen very soon.

Qualcomm Stadium was built in 1967 and currently seats 71,500 spectators for football. The stadium has hosted three Super Bowl games, the last being in 2003 when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Oakland Raiders.

BURKE: 2014 NFL free agency: Handing out a grade to every AFC team

"We're certainly going to be beginning the dialogue soon," Faulconer said. "Ultimately, it's one that I'm convinced that has to involve the greater San Diego community. And I look forward to playing a role in that."

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.