The Jaguars' surprising selection of Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles with the third overall pick on Thursday has led to another surprising decision: The Jaguars are planning to sit Bortles behind current starter Chad Henne in 2014.
In a post-pick press conference, Jaguars general manager David Caldwell said the team will head into 2014 with Henne as starting quarterback and give Bortles plenty of time to get settled in the NFL.
From the Jaguars official website:
"That's the plan that Chad is going to be the guy," Caldwell said. "We told him and we were very honest with Chad through the process. We told him there was a chance we were going to draft a quarterback. Chad knew all along when we re-signed him in the offseason, we were honest with him and he's been great. [Chad] will probably give us the best chance of winning this year and Blake will be the guy of the future."
Caldwell went so far as to tell ESPN Radio on Friday that he doesn't expect Bortles to record his first NFL start until 2014. So Jaguars fans who begin campaigning for Bortles to step in and help the team improve on last year's 4-12 finish will likely not get their way.
"To be honest with you, probably 2015," Caldwell said of when we might see Bortles. "We'd like to give Chad this whole year and go with Chad this year. Blake's got some development to do. We're going to be getting him ready, so come 2015 he's ready to compete for that spot."