Three Oregon basketball players linked to forcible rape allegations have been dropped by the program, but head men's basketball coach Dana Altman is keeping his job.
Junior guard Damyean Dotson, junior guard Dominic Artis and sophomore forward Brandon Austin "will not be playing basketball at Oregon again," school president Michael Gottfredson announced Friday.
The school announced Thursday that all three players were not participating in team activities amid the sexual assault allegations, even though no charges have been filed.
The Oregonian reported Wednesday that Altman reportedly knew about the investigation a day or two before the NCAA tournament but let the players play. District Attorney Alex Gardner said police asked the university not to take disciplinary action until their investigation was completed to give police the opportunity to gather evidence.
Oregon confirmed Thursday that Altman would remain head basketball coach at the school.
According to the police report, the victim, a 21-year-old female college student, told police she was sexually assaulted in three separate instances -- each time by all three Oregon players -- after she had been at a party at the home of Oregon point guard Johnathan Loyd on the weekend before the Pac-12 tournament. The party took place after Oregon's victory over then-No. 3 Arizona.
Austin faced a previous sexual assault allegation while at Providence College, where he and another Providence player were accused last year of sexually assaulting a female student on campus. Austin was suspended at Providence, transferred to Oregon and sat out a calendar year under NCAA transfer rules.
In January, Altman said he had consulted with Providence coaches before signing off on Austin's transfer.
From the Wall Street Journal:
Altman said character was "always something that we consider very strongly. But in talking with their coaching staff, we felt like this was something that was not of a serious nature and we'd be able to move on from there."