Jose Fernandez will likely miss 12-18 months after undergoing the surgery. (Rob Foldy/Getty Images)
Miami Marlins starter Jose Fernandez will undergo Tommy John surgery on Friday, the team said, ending his season.
Fernandez took to Instagram to confirm his decision with Marlins fans:
To all my fans: you deserve to know that today, along with my family, I made [the] decision to undergo Tommy John surgery. It was not an easy one, but with my condition it is the only option where I can return to the game I love as the same player I am temporarily leaving the game as. I'll be back as soon as my elbow will let me. And if anything... I have about a year to learn how to throw lefty ;) You haven't seen the last of me Miami, I promise you that.
Earlier this week, Fernandez was informed he would need to undergo the procedure, but he said he would seek a second opinion before making a final decision. The 21-year-old Fernandez, the reigning National League rookie of the year, led baseball with 12.2 strikeouts per nine innings. He was 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA in 51 2/3 innings this season.
Fernandez's injury is one of an unusually large amount of cases that have required Tommy John surgery so far this season. According to ESPN, Fernandez will be the 18th pitcher to undergo the procedure this season, the most ever through May. And there could soon be a 19th, with Texas Rangers pitcher Martin Perez saying Thursday he's leaning toward Tommy John surgery.
VERDUCCI: A solution to the arm-injury epidemic? >