Report: Clippers owner Donald Sterling has received multiple offers of $2.5 billion
Donald Sterling's lawyer is throwing out big numbers regarding potential offers for the Clippers.
In a 32-page response to the league regarding his lifetime ban, which was published by USA Today on Tuesday, Sterling said he has received offers of more than $2.5 billion for the team. His lawyer reiterated that figure to NBC Los Angeles' Robert Kovacik.
Sterling also said the league's efforts to end his ownership of the team are "illegal," and that he will continue to fight the charges.
No sale will be finalized without the NBA's approval, SI's Michael McCann reported last week.
Shelly Sterling will reportedly file her own response to the NBA by midnight on Tuesday that "strongly asserts her position as an innocent bystander in the league's efforts to strip her family's ownership," a source told USA Today. She is hoping to keep at least some stake in the team.
The Sterlings bought the team in 1981 for about $12 million.
The NBA released a statement in response to Sterling's report.
“This evening, the NBA received responses from Donald and Shelly Sterling to the charge to terminate the current ownership interests in the Los Angeles Clippers. The NBA Board of Governors will meet on June 3 at 1 p.m. in New York City to hear and vote upon this matter. Should the Board vote to sustain the charge, the Sterlings’ interests in the Clippers will be terminated and the team will be sold."
#BREAKING: #DonaldSterling lawyer tells @NBCNews #Clippers owner "...has received offers in excess of $2.5B" for the team. — Robert Kovacik (@RobertNBCLA) May 27, 2014