Tiger Woods withdraws from U.S. Open
Tiger Woods has withdrawn from next month's U.S. Open, he announced via his website on Wednesday.
Woods said he still is physically unable to play at a high level while recovering from surgery for a pinched nerve in his back in late March.
"Unfortunately, I won't be there because I'm not yet physically able to play competitive golf," Woods said. "I'd like to convey my regrets to the USGA leadership, the volunteers and the fans that I won't be at Pinehurst. The U.S. Open is very important to me, and I know it's going to be a great week. Despite missing the first two majors, and several other important tournaments, I remain very optimistic about this year and my future."
The decision was expected in light of Woods' saying that he was not yet able to take a full swing during an interview at his Quicken Loans National tournament at Congressional last week.