The NCAA will reopen its 2011 examination of academic irregularities at the University of North Carolina, the organization announced Monday. ESPN's Joe Schad first tweeted the news.
The NCAA's statement on the case said that it had determined "additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might be willing to speak with the enforcement staff.”
UNC’s academics were thrust back into the forefront recently when former North Carolina men’s basketball star Rashad McCants told ESPN that he would’ve been academically ineligible to play during his time there had it not been for the aid the school gave him.
McCants said there was a “paper class” system at UNC, where students were not required to go to class and only had to submit one term paper to receive a grade. McCants said that Tar Heels coach Roy Williams knew about the system. He also said that he made the dean's list in the spring of 2005 despite not attending any of his four classes.
Williams has denied McCants' allegations.
Here is the NCAA's full statement on reopening the case:
“The University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, was cited by the Division I Committee on Infractions in 2012 for violations in its athletics program, including academic misconduct. As with any case, the NCAA enforcement staff makes clear it will revisit the matter if additional information becomes available. After determining that additional people with information and others who were previously uncooperative might be willing to speak with the enforcement staff, the NCAA has reopened its investigation. The enforcement staff is exploring this new information to ensure an exhaustive investigation is conducted based on all available information. The NCAA will not comment further to protect the integrity of the investigation.”
-- Molly Geary
Jessica Pifalo also contributed to this report.