Real Salt Lake coach Jason Kreis said Friday that his focus remains “completely on the team” despite the recent overture from New York City FC, an MLS expansion club that will kick off in 2015.
Kreis met with NYCFC this month and according to one source, recently received an offer to become its first head coach. Speaking to the media on Friday in Utah, Kreis was asked about the Thursday SI.com report and insisted that he’s concentrating on a different “once in a lifetime opportunity” -- a treble -- for the time being.
“My focus is on doing everything I can to prepare the team to win an Open Cup, to challenge for a Supporters Shield and hopefully get ourselves in position to win an MLS Cup,” he said. “Just because somebody comes out with an article yesterday doesn’t change my position. That's exactly where I have been and that's where I will continue to be through the end of the season."
Kreis neither confirmed nor denied the link with NYCFC, but did say, “It’s nice that other teams find us interesting. It’s nice that we’re doing a good enough job that other teams are looking at us and saying that they perhaps would like to emulate that. Take some pride in it, pat ourselves on the back for a moment and then move on.”
Real Salt Lake (14-9-6) has fallen into second place in the Western Conference following last week’s loss to the Seattle Sounders. Kreis and Co. have won just three of their past nine league games and will look to rebound Saturday night vs. the visiting San Jose Earthquakes.