Daily Bagel: The Swiss lift Federer to celebrate Davis Cup win
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Roger Federer gets a lift after clinching a spot in the Davis Cup final for Switzerland:
• And the Swiss celebrations didn't end there:
• Wawrinka withdrew from this week's Moselle Open and tournament organizers aren't happy about it.
• A must-read on Francis Tiafoe, Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports, and the search for the next big thing.
According to one person in the room, Jay Z seemed impressed as Tiafoe spoke briefly but with passion about his craft and his goals. Jay Z went on to explain that Roc Nation Sports doesn’t recruit just anyone; Tiafoe was special. (As if to prove the point, Beyoncé walked in, wearing the fishnet mask she wore for the show’s opening number, “’03 Bonnie & Clyde,” and warmly greeted Tiafoe’s entourage.) Tiafoe later bragged to friends, “We got pretty tight.” In fact, he’d seemed to others almost too nervous to speak.
• Thomas Hogstedt on Sloane Stephen's "Big Mission".
• This is a great Beats by Dre ad with Serena Williams:
• Tom Perrotta for Grantland on "What Went Wrong at the Strangest Tennis Match You Never Knew Occurred?" Great read.
• WTA Backspin recaps the long and winding journey for Mirjana Lucic-Baroni, who won her first WTA title in 16 years over the weekend.
• Check out this amazing handshake between Barbora Zahlavova Strycova and Elina Svitolina on Monday in Tokyo. Svitolina won 6-4, 6-1.
• Great discussion at The Grandstand on some of the under-the-radar performances at the U.S. Open.
• Non-tennis: Bill Hader's 200 movies every comedy writer should see.