Daily Bagel: Bouchard snaps six-match losing streak in Rome
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• ATP Rome results: Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray all moved through into the third round without losing a set. Federer beat Pablo Cuevas 7–6(3), 6–4, Nadal beat Marcel Ilhan 6–2, 6–0 and Murray extended his win streak to 10 matches with a 6–4, 6–3 win over Jeremy Chardy. In the most anticipated match of day, Fabio Fognini beat Grigor Dimitrov 7–6 (9), 4–6, 6–0. Other winners on Wednesday: John Isner, Kei Nishikori and Guillermo Garcia Lopez.
• How good was this rally between Fognini and Dimitrov?
• WTA Rome results: Eugenie Bouchard snapped her six-match win streak, beating Zarina Diyas 6–3, 6–4. Victoria Azarenka beat Caroline Wozniacki for the third time this year, winning 6–2, 7–6 (2). Simona Halep, Venus Williams and Ekaterina Makarova also won.
• It was split results for the young American women, as Christina McHale pulled off the upset to beat Sara Errani 6–4, 6–4, while Madison Keys lost to Bojana Jovanovski 6–4, 1–6, 6–3. More upsets: Daria Gavrilova beat Ana Ivanovic 5–7, 7–6 (2), 7–6 (7) in a third set tiebreaker, Irina-Camelia Begu beat Angelique Kerber 6–3, 6–3 and Alexandra Dulgheru beat Lucie Safarova 1–6, 6–4, 7–6 (6).
• John Isner has not been broken in six matches. He plays Rafael Nadal on Thursday.
• After losing to Serena Williams, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova had her humor in check:
• This counts as a free clinic, right?
• Agnieszka Radwanska pulled out of Rome with a hand injury, but her funny bone is intact:
• Frances Tiafoe has dropped his long-time coach in favor of two USTA stalwarts.
• Interesting read on the role of religious faith in tennis.
• Pretty good movement here from Jiri Vesely: