Daily Bagel: Kerber credits Steffi Graf for her turnaround this season
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Angelique Kerber credits a training block with Steffi Graf for turning around her season.
• Great interview in L'Equipe with Eugenie Bouchard's coach Sam Sumyk:
Too quickly even. She went from 'we don’t know who she is' to a Slam final. That’s heavy. All the parameters change. When you have good results and climb in the rankings, you enter the circle of the most hated players on the tour. By that I mean everyone wants to kick your butt.
• Interesting read in the New York Times on the controversy surrounding Guillermo Vilas' career-high ranking: Should he have been No. 1?
• USTA President Dave Haggarty is running for ITF president.
• After losing to her friend Lucie Safarova, Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova tweeted this:
• You won't see many top players do this: After winning his first round match on Monday, Andy Murray bundled up and sat amongst the crowd on Court 7 to cheer on fellow Brit Kyle Edmund. Edmund beat Stephane Robert to notch his first Slam win.