Daily Bagel: Serena stars in Harper's Bazaar 'Women Who Dare' issue
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Five players are vying for the final three spots at the WTA Finals in Singapore. If Carla Suarez Navarro and Karolina Pliskova lose their matches in Moscow on Tuesday, the field will be set with Angelique Kerber, Lucie Safarova and Flavia Pennetta completing the field. Other qualification scenarios can be found here.
• Serena Williams is featured in the November 2015 "Women Who Dare" issue of Harper's BAZAAR, where the magazine celebrates "women who live by their own rules and are brave enough to take flight."
"Daring to me is taking a chance but not doing it blindly. A very calculated chance. Think of amazing women like Sheryl Sandberg and Oprah Winfrey—they're daring, but they're not jumping off a building without a parachute, you know? You have to be smart about it. You can't be afraid to be a pioneer and take a chance and speak up and just be bold."
• Serena is also guest-editing the November issue of Wired, out on newsstands on Tuesday.
• Novak Djokovic continues his banner year:
• Best hot shots from the Shanghai Rolex Masters:
• Simona Halep practiced her gymnastics with former Romanian start Nadia Comaneci:
• Listen to 19-year-old Victoria Duval talk with Cari Champion at last week's espnW Summit. She talks about her love for spreading happiness after beating cancer and dealing with family tragedy at a young age.
• Ivo Karlovic continues to smash aces in 2015.
• 17-year-old American Taylor Fritz is now 10-1 on the Challenger circuit with his victories in Sacramento and Fairfield.
"I'm going to play a lot more tournaments. The plan was to take two months to train, but I think I'm going to bring the offseason down to one month. I thought I needed to train to have these results, but I put two really hard weeks in before Sacramento and that's all it took to start playing like this. Once you get the results, you have to capitalize on it."