Venus Williams' dress makes an impression
Venus Williams unveiled her latest fashion statement for Wednesday's second-round match against Sandra Zahlavova -- and it caused quite a stir on Twitter.
[gallery link="file" columns="4" orderby="title"]
Within minutes, Venus was a trending topic both worldwide and in the United States, as fans and media flooded the microblogging site with their snap judgments of the audacious metallic frock. (And the knives were out.) Here's a sampling of the reaction from the Twittersphere:
• Daily Mail tennis correspondent Mike Dickson (@Mike_Dickson_DM): "Venus Williams looks like she's wearing a lattice cake."
• Los Angeles Times tennis writer Diane Pucin (@mepucin): "Venus Williams' dress looks as if it might be worn by Hanniball Lecter to keep him from eating people. Only in a cheery color."
• New York Times tennis writer Christopher Clarey (@christophclarey): "Taking suggestions on Venus's latest sartorial offering...Not a tennis dress perhaps but a Trellis Dress"
• British tennis player Anne Keothavong (@annekeothavong): "Some interesting outfits at this year's Aussie Open... Not mentioning any names but seriously?!"
• London Times tennis correspondent Neil Harman (@NeilHarmanTimes): "I'm sorry Venus but that outfit! Even Nicolas Mahut would think twice about ever wearing one of those..."
• FOXSports.com tennis contributor Matt Cronin (@TennisReporters): "Quizz: Venus Williams dress looks like: 1: Pie crust 2: Spray-painted piece of trellis 3: temporary plastic fencing for a construction site"
• ESPN.com tennis contributor Kamakshi Tandon (@Kamakshi_Tandon): "Someone took Venus Williams' dress and police have cordoned off the area."
• Yahoo! Sports blogger Chris Chase (@chaztopher): "Venus Williams' dress is her most ridiculous yet. It looks like Solid Gold Dancer meets Edward Scissorhands."
• Forty Deuce blogger C Note (@FortyDeuceTwits): "All the colors and patterns that are flying at me on my screen have left me discombobulated. I feel like I'm in the Willy Wonka tunnel."
• Tennis magazine photo editor David Rosenberg (@RosenbergTennis): "oh, venus. what are you thinking?"
What do you think about Venus' dress? Envelope-pushing elegance or fashion fail?