Daily Bagel: Andy Murray hires Ivan Lendl; Andrea Petkovic debuts the dunk
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Andrea Petkovic kicked off 2012 with a win in Brisbane, Australia, and debuted her new postmatch Petko Dunk (video above). It's more of a "Petko Fadeaway Three," but that doesn't quite roll off the tongue. Perhaps it's an homage to a fellow German, Dallas Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki?
• In a somewhat surprising move, Andy Murray announced that he's hired Ivan Lendl as his coach. Not unlike his new charge, Lendl was often described as misunderstood, obsessive and prickly, and didn't win his first Grand Slam title until his fifth final. Could this be the out-of-the-box hire that Murray needs to make the final step?
• Novak Djokovic started his 2012 season by beating Gael Monfils, Roger Federer and David Ferrer to win the exhibition in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Meanwhile, Peter Bodo tells us to remember Abu Dhabi if these guys start complaining about the length of the season later this year.
• Petra Kvitova wants nothing to do with the hype surrounding her inevitable ascent to No. 1. "Last year in the four Grand Slams we had four different winners so it's not only about me even though I have won a grand slam and I know the feeling," she said. "But it was only one year ago that I was number 34 and I am still getting used to this."
• "How do you feel about me being the only Wimbledon championship in the family?" Jamie Murray interviewed Andy Murray for CNN.com.
• U.S. Open champion Sam Stosur announced that she's signed a multiyear deal with Asics. Based on that video, something tells me we're going to miss Lacoste. • Non-tennis: What was the most important event of 2011?