Daily Bagel: Prince files for bankruptcy
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• As the players prepare for the blue clay in Madrid next week, an enterprising fan has decided to give this tournament promo video the Jimmy Kimmel "Unnecessary Censorship" treatment. Tell us how you really feel about the blue clay, guys!
• Prince -- the racket maker, not the musical genius with the perfectly groomed thinstache -- has filed for bankruptcy. The company, which sponsors John Isner, Gael Monfils and Mike and Bob Bryan, says it has more than $100 million in assets and debt and will look to reorganize. Per Bloomberg News:
Decline in market demand “combined with increased competition over the past five years” and a decrease in “consumer discretionary spending” led to the bankruptcy, said Gordon Boggis, chief executive officer, in court papers.
• Andrea Petkovic, who is out at least three months with torn ligaments in her ankle, is ready to fight her way back from yet another setback -- though the injury-plagued German admits she's getting tired of having to do so.
• Serena Williams is hawking a sleep aid as co-owner of the company Take a Sheet. So does this mean no more depressing 3 a.m. tweets about how boys suck? That would be unfortunate. Williams told the The Huffington Post, "I'm not a sleeper. I'm kind of like my dad, never slept much. I can really go off of five hours of sleep, but obviously that's not healthy."
• Speaking of Serena and boys, she says her last breakup (with Common? Drake?) left her so heartbroken that she's sworn off dating for the next 10 years.
• Andy Roddick's wife, Brooklyn Decker, says she wants to adopt a child with special needs.
• Who's No. 1? Penn is suing Dunlop for claiming it's the "world's No. 1 ball."
• Non-tennis: Some people want to focus on the remarkable fact that this golden retriever stands guard over his owner's bike. I would like to point out to those people that at the end of the video THE DOG MOUNTS THE BIKE.See or read something that you enjoyed and want to share? Feel free to email or tweet us links to pieces from around the Internet that may have slipped past our radar.