Daily Bagel: Serena Williams holds big edge over WTA's top eight
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• VIDEO: Stanislas Wawrinka gave his good buddy Roger Federer a scare on Thursday before eventually losing 4-6, 7-6, 6-0. The win guaranteed Federer would hold the No. 1 ranking for his 300th week, but let's focus on Stan here. Watch the point at the 8:15 mark. Clearly the years of practicing with Roger have rubbed off. (h/t @svenja_sportch)
• More stats from the WTA on the head-to-head records of the eight women who have qualified for the WTA Championships in Istanbul. How about that 9-1 record owned by Serena against the field in 2012?
• Roger Federer "vividly" remembers the first time he reached the No. 1 ranking.
It took me to win Wimbledon, the [Barclays ATP] World Tour Finals, then basically get to the finals of the Australian Open. After beating Ferrero in the semis, I knew I clinched it, but obviously I wanted to finish the tournament on a high note winning the Australian Open as well. That's what I was able to do then. But I remember after the semis how happy I was becoming World No. 1.
• Peter Bodo on why the Race to London rankings are more important than the actual ATP rankings. Count me in as one of those writers who has been duped by the ATP's slight of hand in linking us directly to the Race rankings. It was frustrating.
• Chalk another point up to Ivan: Murray's been seeing a sports psychologist recommended to him by Lendl.
• The Power Horse World Team Cup will be replaced by an ATP 250 event in Dusseldorf one week before the French Open.
• Non-tennis: Happy Friday, everyone! See or read something that you enjoyed and want to share? Feel free to email or tweet us links to pieces from around the Internet that may have slipped past our radar.