Daily Bagel: Federer or Messi?
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: We're about four weeks away from the Australian Open, so here's a funny look back at last year in Melbourne.
• Roger Federer is in Argentina. So naturally the local journalists asked him if he's as good at tennis as Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona are at soccer.
• Love that Steve Tignor slotted the Wimbledon quarterfinal between Sabine Lisicki and Angelique Kerber into his list of the year's memorable matches. It was an unpredictably weird but extremely enjoyable match.
The third set was one of the year's strangest, and you can get an idea of why in these highlights. Through the first six games, an unhappy, eye-rolling Kerber, who can’t forget her missed chances, appears to be trying to get off the court as quickly as possible. She doesn’t run after balls, she stands flat-footed and swings as hard as she can, she claps sarcastically after lost points, she looks resentfully toward her player box. Yet you look up and see that the score is 3-3.
• Andy Murray is going through a grueling offseason training regimen in Florida.
• The ATP has been counting down the top 10 achievements of the year. Here are its top two.
• Writing for Tennis Channel, Steve Flink gives out his Flink Awards to the women.
• Want to integrate the 2013 tennis calendar into your own? One enterprising blogger has everything you need.
• Non-tennis: From Vulture: Things you might have missed in 2012 ... and shouldn't have.See or read something that you enjoyed and want to share? Feel free to email or tweet us links to pieces from around the Internet that may have slipped past our radar.