The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: A collection of some of Roger Federer's best points in 2012.
• L'Equipe reports Gael Monfils may skip the Australian Open and that his career is in doubt.
• The ATP is none too pleased with the USTA's decision to move the U.S. Open final to Monday.
"The ATP and its players have made it clear to the U.S. Open that we do not support a Monday final,'' the governing body for men's tennis said in a statement. "We strongly believe the U.S. Open should keep a similar schedule to the other Grand Slams, with the men's semifinals completed by Friday and the final on Sunday.
"It is unfortunate the U.S. Open response did not reflect our views on this issue and the ATP and its players will continue to pursue this matter in its discussions with the USTA.''
• Lleyton Hewitt backs Tomas Berdych to be the next man to capture his maiden Slam title.
• According to this Spanish report, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario is stepping down from her post as Spain's Fed Cup captain. Sanchez-Vicario held the post for only a year and lost both ties Spain contested this year. The announcement comes a week after Spain's female players announced their decision to split from the Spanish tennis federation due to a lack of support.
• Ashleigh Barty has replaced an injured Casey Dellacqua at Hopman Cup. She'll pair with Bernard Tomic.
• J.R.R. Tolkien loved playing tennis.
• Non-tennis: Longform.org's
10 best longreads of the year.