The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Grigor Dimitrov is having a great week in Rotterdam, beating Marcos Baghdatis 6-7 (4), 7-6 (0), 6-3 on Friday to make his second ATP semifinal of the year. Check out his speed and hands on this get off a let cord today.
• Roger Federer lost to Julien Benneteau 6-3, 7-5 in the Rotterdam quarterfinals. This postmatch quote is classic Federer.
• Video: Not to be outdone by Dimitrov, Ernests Gulbis pulls a crazy forehand lob out of his hat against Juan Martin del Potro. Gulbis lost the match 7-6 (5), 6-3.
• Carl Bialik of The Wall Street Journal examines Horacio Zeballos' improbable title run last week in Chile.
It’s also a highly unusual accomplishment to win a first title while beating a top-five opponent in the final. Just 12 players before Zeballos had done it since 1973, according to a search by Sackmann, proprietor of the tennis database Tennis Abstract.... Those players include some big names: Edberg, winner of six Grand Slam singles titles; Jim Courier, four-time major champion; former No. 4 Roscoe Tanner; 2002 French Open champion Albert Costa; former world No. 10 Mikael Pernfors; and current world No. 8 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Zeballos doesn’t have much time to match their careers: Pernfors, at 25, was the oldest to win his first title. Zeballos turns 28 in April.
• Greg Couch of Fox Sports with nice piece on Esther Vergeer. It should be noted that the article was posted before Oscar Pistorious was arrested.
• Non-tennis: A father and son go to Burning Man