Daily Bagel: Ernests Gulbis has colorful exchange with umpire
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: When Ernests Gulbis tries to argue Tuesday after receiving a time violation in his match against John Isner in Monte Carlo, Pascal Maria unleashes one of my favorite umpire lines ever: "Wait, wait, wait. Let me finish and then you give me s---." Topped off with his French accent, it's a classic. Later, Gulbis tells Maria, "Now we're friends again."
• Judy Murray says her Fed Cup captaincy has shown people she's not just Andy's and Jamie's mom, but a woman who knows her tennis.
“It has probably shown a lot of people who thought I was just Andy’s mum who traipsed around the world telling him what to do which, as you know, I didn’t!
“I have been coaching for about 20 years so it has been good for me. I wasn’t expecting to be given the opportunity but when it came along, it was a real honour but also a real challenge. All my coaching experience has been in the junior ranks or the men’s side of the game and although I knew our female players I didn’t know them well at all so I spent a lot of time last year in getting to know them and their coaching teams because I firmly believe that you have to get to know them first as people.
• The Russian surge in men's tennis that started with Yevgeny Kafelnikov and included the likes of Marat Safin and Nikolay Davydenko might be over for a while.
• More from the defaulted Pakistan Davis Cup team: Doubles specialist Aisam Qureshi is accusing the referees of bias.
• The players on the two-time defending champion Czech Fed Cup team just seem like they have a good time together. • Non-tennis: Longform.org has a selection of some of the Pulitzer Prize winners and nominees.