The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: The ATP counts down the top Madrid Hot Shots. But how about the top-10 play calls? Not much can beat Robbie Koenig's "Oh! That's pure box office from [Grigor] Dimitrov!"
• The headline says it all: Jimmy Connors Shouldn't Be Talking About Chris Evert's Abortion.
• Is Taylor Townsend the next great American tennis star? Slow down, folks. Give her some time.
• Steve Tignor weighs in on Rafael Nadal's Madrid title and what it means going forward.
Does winning Madrid give Rafa more confidence against [Novak] Djokovic (they’re scheduled to play in the semis in Rome)? I doubt that as well. Nadal’s game, he said last week, is close to peak level again, but the match-up against Djokovic is unlike any other for him. He lost their last round, in Monte Carlo, where Djokovic took the initiative early. Nadal will have to find a way, as he did on clay in 2012, to return the favor and turn their baseline dynamic in his favor again. Beating [Stanislas] Wawrinka meant doing what he always does; beating Djokovic will mean doing something different, and probably better.
• Djokovic's day in 60 seconds.
• John Tomic's trial for assault has been postponed until October because his alleged victim, Thomas Drouet, was unable to make it to court on Tuesday.
• Former French Open champions Svetlana Kuznetsova and Francesca Schiavone lost in the first round of the Italian Open on Monday, which means they are set to be unseeded at the French Open.
• A lovely report from the ATP on Brad Drewett's memorial service in Sydney.
• Marcos Baghdatis has hired Zeljko Krajan as his new coach. Krajan recently split with Laura Robson.
• A late tribute to all the mothers out there: Mothers who became champions.
• Non-tennis: Big Picture
photo gallery of sugar and salt.