LONDON -- John Tomic attended his son Bernard's first-round loss to Benjamin Becker at the Aegon Championships on Tuesday despite being banned from receiving credentials for ATP Tour tournaments.
John Tomic, who also coaches Bernard, had his credentials revoked after he was charged with assaulting his son's hitting partner, Thomas Drouet, before the Madrid Masters last month. His case has been postponed until October.
The ban is in place until the tour completes its investigation into the incident. But the ban does not apply if Tomic purchases a ticket, which, according to tournament organizers, is precisely what he did Tuesday at Queen's Club.
"According to our rules, the ATP can prohibit any person from obtaining access to any areas at a tournament site that are not generally open or available to all members of the public," an ATP spokesperson told The Telegraph. "Any such decision must be taken by each tournament in question."
During the French Open, the French Tennis Federation did not allow John Tomic on the grounds as a ticket holder. Wimbledon will have the same policy. According to The Telegraph, though, officials from the Aegon Championships spoke with Tomic and said he would be permitted as long as he behaved.
Bernard Tomic, who lost 6-4, 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4), said he expected his father-coach to be courtside but didn't keep an eye out for him.
"I didn't see him, to be honest," Tomic said, adding that he had breakfast with his father before his match. "Funny you spotted him and I didn't."
Tomic, ranked No. 63, has lost his first-round match in four of the last five tournaments. The 20-year-old Australian said his preparation for the Aegon Championships was limited because of a hamstring injury that led to his retirement from his first-round match at the French Open two weeks ago. Tomic is scheduled to play in next week's Aegon International in Eastbourne, England. Wimbledon begins June 24.