Random thoughts, observations, links and other goodies from the tennis world this week …
• Roger Federer wore a sweater vest during his quarterfinal match against Florian Mayer at the German Tennis Championships on Friday. People noticed. Federer removed it, though, after losing the second set. He played the third set without it and won the match. As we learned from The Godfather, "Leave the sweater vest, take the racket."
• Fabio Fognini has knocked out Tommy Haas in the quarterfinals of a German tournament by the same scoreline two weeks in a row. Fognini followed up last week's 6-2, 6-4 victory in Stuttgart with another one in Hamburg on Friday. That's a weird level of consistency for anyone, but especially for Fognini.
• Speaking of Hamburg, I couldn't agree more with this:
• Bastad knows how to treat a girl right: The Swedish Open plays Serena Williams' favorite band, Green Day, on her changeovers, she presumably received a hefty appearance fee and her matches have been packed.
Martina Hingis was inducted into the Hall of Fame last week. (Elise Amendola/AP)
• I wasn't surprised by Martina Hingis' decision to enter the doubles draw of the WTA Premier event in Carlsbad, Calif, later this month. The tournament is owned and operated by Octagon, which represents Hingis and her partner for the week, Daniela Hantuchova. Also, Hingis' tennis clothing line, Tonic, is the official outfitter for the tournament. It wasn't a comeback, but a marketing opportunity. But now the new Hall of Famer plans to play doubles at the New Haven Open, too. Consider me intrigued. Could a U.S. Open doubles wild card be far off?
• Arantxa Rus finally snapped her 17-match losing streak this week, winning not one, but two matches in Bad Gastein, Austria.
• Taylor Townsend gives good tambourine:
• Madison Keys has joined Twitter. The first players she followed: Jamie Hampton, Melanie Oudin, Townsend, Alison Riske and Genie Bouchard.
• Tennis writer Kamakshi Tandon weighs in on the controversies surrounding Agnieszka Radwanska and Michael Russell:
• Nice perk of working with the Adidas Player Development program:
• On the Getty Images photo wire, pictures of Victoria Azarenka and Redfoo from the ESPY Awards were originally captioned "Stefan 'RedFoo' Gordy and guest." They knew all of his names but they couldn't pick Azarenka out of a lineup? She was nominated for Best Female Tennis Player!
PHOTOS: Azarenka, Sharapova at the ESPYs
• Speaking of the ESPYs, Mike and Bob Bryan should have been nominated and won the award for Best Team. This picture says it all:
From left to right: 2012 U.S. Open trophy, 2012 Olympic gold medal, 2013 Australian Open trophy, 2013 French Open trophy, 2013 Wimbledon trophy. (Facebook)
• What happened to Serena's curves, Nike?
• So to sum up the latest on the ATP's Big Four: Andy Murray is frolicking on the beach in the Bahamas, Rafael Nadal is beating a bunch of kids at PlayStation in Mallorca and Federer is accessorizing in Hamburg. Novak Djokovic? He's riding a tractor while enjoying some poetry: