Azarenka, Radwanska, Robson talk friendship, music and the Royal Baby
Dominika Cibulkova, who will defend her Southern California Open title this week after winning the Bank of the West Classic on Sunday, joined the WTA Live crew on Monday to play some Ping-Pong, grill her fellow WTA players and engage in a surprisingly intense game of "Name That Song" against top-seeded Victoria Azarenka.
Here are some of the things we learned from the hour-long broadcast, which had interviews with Azarenka, Petra Kvitova, Ana Ivanovic, Laura Robson and Roberta Vinci.
• Azarenka is now a California girl. She reveals that she has a place in Los Angeles. She also finally referred to Redfoo as her "boyfriend."
• Ivanovic, who has split with coach Nigel Sears, says she will work with Sven Groeneveld and the Adidas Player Development Program for now. She's also traveling with a full-time hitting partner.
• It took only two questions for Robson to be asked about the Royal Baby. "I think it's a way bigger deal here than it is in England," she said. "I don't feel like anybody really cares that much in England."
• Vinci grunts when she plays Ping-Pong.
• Agnieszka Radwanska can't stop listening to P!nk's Just Give Me a Reason. She also loves high heels. (Hey, I never said the things we learned were going to be groundbreaking.)
• Cibulkova asked Kvitova who her best friends are on tour. "I can say some Czech players ... then I speak a lot with Stefanie Voegele, Magda Rybarikova, you ... sometimes."
• The tournament director of the Southern California Open, Allastair Garland, also happens to be Cibulkova's agent at Octagon. The fact that this conflict of interest is openly joked about is just so tennis.
• If you are in Carlsbad, you might spot Ivanovic at the local Whole Foods. Interestingly, Ivanovic says she'll probably live outside of Serbia after she retires because she loves the beach.
• Musicians Azarenka and Cibulkova know well: Flo Rida, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson and The Script. Musicians they don't know that well: The Killers, Kings of Leon, Monsters and Men and The Eagles.
• Funniest moment: Robson said her second-favorite sport is "darts." Cibulkova heard "dance." That English accent can confuse the best of them.
• Best Q&A exchange of the hour: "Name a member in the WTA Original 9." Cibulkova: "Maria Sharapova!"
You can watch the full hour here: http://youtu.be/uqKqqrQ5y5I