Daily Bagel: John McEnroe calls to ditch doubles at Grand Slams
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Daniela Hantuchova shows off her classical training by playing piano during an exhibition with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Gael Monfils in Bratislava, Slovakia.
• Shocker: John McEnroe calls for tennis to ditch doubles at the majors. Strong words.
“Why we are even playing doubles at this point is a mystery to me,” said McEnroe. “I love doubles but I don’t even recognise what this is. If there was a volleying contest from the service line, most of these guys couldn’t . . .” He stopped and sighed. “They play an inch from the net. It is like wham, bam, thank you ma’am.
“If you cut out doubles and gave that money to singles players ranked between 200 and 1,000, maybe that would do something for the game. Then some other guy who never really had the chance to play ends up becoming No 100 in the world instead of quitting when he’s No 400.
“Most doubles players, I hate to say, are the slow guys who were not quick enough to play singles.”
• CNN profiles Serena Williams and her team.
• Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic are in Bogota, Colombia, for an exhibition event.
• Melanie Oudin talks about her recovery from rhabdomyolysis, a muscle-damaging condition.
• The ATP is counting down the best comebacks of the season.
• Non-tennis: When trolls attack: How athletes deal with online abuse.