The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Serena Williams speaks before playing her opening match at the Dubai Championships. She beat Ekaterina Makarova on Tuesday, while Simona Halep retired with an Achilles injury.
• John McEnroe has expanded his role at ESPN, which describes his new duties this way:
In addition to his work on tennis, McEnroe will serve as an analyst on SportsCenter discussing major topics of all sorts and handling sit-down interviews with top sports stars. He also will make regular appearances on ESPN2’s Olbermann and on ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike, also seen weekday mornings on ESPN2. In addition, he also will also be heard on ESPN Radio New York (98.7 FM).
• According to the New York Post's Page Six, Oscar-winning director Danny Boyle has met with Billie Jean King to talk about a biopic.
• Which gender has a better competitive balance in Grand Slam tennis?
• Why Dubai attracts such a star-studded field.
• More players to watch from Challenger Tennis.
• I spoke to Petra Kvitova last week and she had no problem taking ownership of her recent Slam failures. With most players trying to spin bad results into positive ones, Kvitova's honesty was refreshing. • Non-tennis: This is a few years old but worth a look: Highlights from various U.S. presidents' dining preferences.