Daily Bagel: Novak Djokovic goes back to roots to rediscover mojo
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: Presenting, The Gulbis Dance, the newest move coming to a dance club near you.
• USA Today's Douglas Robson on how Novak Djokovic went back to his roots in Serbia to rediscover his mojo, which has been lacking this season.
After losing 10-8 in the fifth set in the quarterfinals to eventual Australian Open winner Stanislas Wawrinka last month in Melbourne, Djokovic recognized he needed not only to regroup but also to reconnect with his roots.
So he collected his fianceé, Jelena Ristic, his parents, and a few close friends for an impromptu skiing trip to Mount Kopaonik, where his parents met and once ran a pizza restaurant and where he first struck tennis balls.
He had not returned in several years. "I feel like going back there gives me that sense of identity in a way," he told USA TODAY Sports in an interview last week. "This is a very special place in different ways for our family."
• It's time to drop Grigor Dimitrov's "Baby Fed" nickname as Tennis.com's Jonathan Scott writes.
To be blunt, I am Baby Fed up. There is Roger Federer -- sleek, balanced, and graceful. And then there is the relative upstart, Grigor Dimitrov, who often comes across as decidedly unbalanced, even when he hits fantastic screaming shots; unsure of his footing; and bipolar in his results. So we have the icon who launched a thousand (or five thousand) David Foster Wallace words, Federer. And we have Dimitrov, scamperer.
Thus, as the nickname Baby Fed goes, let's be done with it already. I thought this was the case months ago when Dimitrov said publicly that he willed its ouster. And rightfully so, for it continues to place undue pressure on him. And it shows.
• Billie Jean King is frustrated that the men don't hire female coaches.
Watching the #Panthers will never be the same now. @89SteveSmith, absolute legend and greatest Panther ever hands down. #iceupson
— John Isner (@JohnIsner) March 13, 2014
• These GIFs prove that Jiri Vesely really needs to work on his overheads.
• Here's an update on the construction at Wimbledon.
What the bottom of a tennis court looks like... #Wimbledon#masterplanhttps://t.co/iFRj5t4YZn
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) March 13, 2014
• The USTA announced that the Fed Cup playoff between the U.S. and France will be held in St. Louis.• Non-tennis: Should high schools start later for teenagers?