The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Video: The ATP previews the clay-court season, which is just around the corner.
• Peter Bodo for ESPN previews the clay-court season, which offers more storylines for the women than the men.
The women are loaded with players who enjoy the clay and know how to play it, like the those mentioned above.
And let’s not forget that the winner in Monterey, Calif., (a last lingering hard-court event) last week was former French Open champ Ana Ivanovic. The women’s tour is chockablock with contenders on clay. [Jelena] Jankovic has been No. 1 in the world and, like current No. 3 [Agnieszka] Radwanska, she’s been a Grand Slam finalist.
Should Serena Williams surrender the stranglehold she has on the WTA tour in the coming weeks, it’s really impossible to say who, if anyone, might take her place. No. 2 Li Na has been more consistent than ever in recent months, but she’s wandered off-script before. Victoria Azarenka has been out with a foot injury, and she’s not due back until Madrid in early May; who knows how long it will be until she’s match tough again? Maria Sharapova, down to No. 8, hasn’t made a final this year.
• Grigor Dimitrov poses with an adorable puppy.
• Anna Tatishvili is an American citizen now:
Officially an American!!! United States Citizen!!! ★★★
— Anna Tatishvili (@ankatati) April 10, 2014
• Here's how the top WTA players stack up stats-wise through the first three months of the season.