Daily Bagel: Andy Murray scrutinized by media for hiring Amelie Mauresmo
• Video: Roger Federer speaks in Halle, Germany, where he is defending his title at the Gerry Weber Open.
• Hannah Wilks for LiveTennis weighs in on the hysteria in Britain surrounding Andy Murray's new coaching hire.
The question of whether or not [Amelie] Mauresmo will have access to the men’s locker room -- she won’t -- and the potential negative impact that might have has been particularly dwelled upon, with the implication that what is good enough for top female players, many of whom are coached by men not allowed access to their locker room, cannot be good enough for a top male player (not to mention a definite undertone of gender panic at the thought of a woman penetrating this manliest of sanctums). The fossilized attitudes in question may have reached their zenith when Murray was asked about the advantages of having hired a ‘lady’ rather than a ‘chap.’
"Lady and chap?" Murray repeated, understandably amused. "Man and woman. Let's stick with that."
• Steve Tignor in praise of Uncle Toni.
In short, Toni [Nadal] was, and apparently still is, a pain in the ass -- [Rafael Nadal's] 2012 autobiography could have been subtitled, “My adventures with my crazy uncle.” But he was the right pain in the ass, and his position as uncle was, in retrospect, a perfect one. He was emotionally, rather than financially, invested in his nephew’s career; Toni isn’t paid by Rafa. Yet he never had to worry about the complications that come with being a tennis father. He was free to be tough with his student, while at the same time forming a natural two-man team with him. That also left room for the young player to be influenced by his real father, Sebastian; as Rafa has said, they share a positive, winner’s personality that the darker Toni doesn’t.
• Maria Sharapova is just an ordinary person ... sometimes. Here she is riding the London Underground on Tuesday. Sharapova showed up at Queen's Club to cheer on Grigor Dimitrov, who won his opening match.
When in London Town, this is how we riiiide....occasionally :) pic.twitter.com/C1fSfsq7oN
— Maria Sharapova (@MariaSharapova) June 10, 2014
• Speaking of Sharapova, she's the new face of Avon Luck.
• Simona Halep's celebrated return to Romania.
• The King of Clay now made of ... clay.
• But now, he's onto the grass: Rafael Nadal hit the courts in Halle within an hour of his arrival.
• Novak Djokovic continues partying in Ibiza with ... a blow-up doll.
• Bob Brett, whose name was floated frequently as a possible coach to Murray, is set to take the position as the LTA's performance director, The Telegraph reports.
• The WTA rounds up 15 great quotes from the French Open.
• Britain's Dan Evans is definitely not in support of Aljaz Bedene's bid to play for the British Davis Cup team. Bedene, who has lived in Britain since he was 18, is seeking citizenship and has been vocal about his desire to play for Britain.• Non-tennis: From The Big Picture: Goalposts from around the world.