An Old Guy Ushers In a New Era
1. I think my role as a leader on this team is important. The coaches asked me to do that when they came in, to help out, and I enjoy it. I am the veteran guy, and I’ve picked up a few things over the years. I think it’s starting to work. One of our biggest things is to protect the team. That’s the approach we take, and that’s the approach I try to take every time.
2. I think coach Gus Bradley has created a positive place with a genuine coaching experience between the coaches and players. What you see is what you get; there isn’t anything behind the scenes. It’s really great to be around.
3. I think the teammate who has impressed me the most is [cornerback] Alan Ball. He’s done an awesome job. Just the way he competes—you get him at 100 percent every day. If I had to give an award to somebody, it would be him.
4. I think when people say that the Jacksonville fans aren’t here, that’s not true. They’re here, they’re hungry, and we’re going to do everything we can to give them something to cheer about.
5. I think all offseason, all training camp, you’ve seen a supreme focus from Blaine Gabbert. Everyone has been happy and excited to see that from him.
6. I think I’ve learned to keep my off-the-field activities close to my chest. It’s often gotten me in trouble, when it comes to running with the bulls and some of my more out-there hobbies. I can’t confirm or deny what I do or don’t do, but I don’t put them put there on social media.
7. I think I honestly forget that I’m 33 years old. I’m in here with these young guys and they’re talking, hanging out, and I’m like, "I’m 10 years older than these kids." But when you’re in the atmosphere, it’s not something I really think about. I’m like Peter Pan; I don’t want to grow up.
8. I think it’s going to be interesting to see who emerges as the toughest offensive lineman to face this year, the head honcho. Before Jason Peters got hurt, he was probably the guy in the NFL.
9. I think I learn from watching the pass rushers around the league who are really dynamic and fast, like Cameron Wake and Robert Mathis. It’s a similar approach that I have, so you see what they’re doing. I’m not going to watch a guy who is 280 pounds, because we’re not going to rush the same.
10. They’re coming to our place, so we’ve got to represent