•No. 9 Oregon 43, Cal 15: Before we talk about anything else: All is not lost with LaMichael James, despite how it looked last night as he was carted off the field late last night with his arm in an air cast. It's a dislocated elbow; it's an injury James has experienced before, and he says he'll be back this season, though no specific timetable has been set for his return. And while the Ducks could surely use him next week against Arizona State, the most crucial remaining game on the slate isn't for another month or so, when the team travels to Stanford. George Schroeder was on the scene in Eugene and has additional details regarding the LMJ situation. (Stat of the game: Before exiting, James had already run up 239 yards on a Cal ground defense that ranked ninth nationally heading into last night.)
• Western Kentucky 36, Middle Tennessee State 33 (2 OT): And the Hilltoppers stave off another winless season by the barest of margins. Key factors: Bobby Rainey's 196 rushing yards and two touchdowns, including catching the final score in double overtime, and MTSU's three turnovers. Now let us never speak of this again.
• Joyous tears of blood: The rarest of all developments has surfaced in Texas: a conference realignment move that makes perfect sense for all involved. The Big 12 needs more schools. TCU needs a real conference. TCU can make the Big 12 more real by being a part of it, as the conference edges back toward the actual number of teams in the name it is apparently insistent on keeping, and the geographies involved are reasonable. Added accessory benefits: This can only renew the possibility of our Big East-Sun Belt pipe dream merger, and SWC reminiscingis back in style. Win-win! Or, rather, win-win-whatever the Big East is doing. In other B12 news: No high school highlights for the LHN.
• This is the guy who let him go back on the radio, said what he said couldn't be construed as a confession, and then basically let him confess again on live air, twice, so this sounds like a net victory: Harvey Updyke's lawyer has asked to withdraw as counsel.
• Quote of the day, I: "It is important none of us here at UConn become too anxious over this situation." -- UConn statement on TCU decamping for Big 12, via Brett McMurphy
• Quote of the day, II: "Obviouly, the fake "Ex" Twitter with the greatest potential would be one for Steve Taneyhill." -- Chris Driver
• Quote of the day, III: "I believe Gene Smith knows the truth. And I can pretty much leave it at that." Interesting reading on Maurice Clarett and Troy Smith.