Looks like we got a bear in the air in Nick Florence, boys. (Cal Sport Media via AP Images)
• While you were lolling. We're still at that honeymoon stage where we'll watch anything remotely resembling college football, even if Kentucky's school commercial did run immediately before the Wildcats dropped a pass and fumbled on consecutive plays. Louisville triumphed in this early rivalry game, 32-14. [BOX | RECAP] In evening action, Baylor walloped SMU, 54-29, with a 341-yard, four-touchdown passing performance from RGIII successor Nick Florence. [BOX | RECAP]
• We have a vote for a thing! Some nice people with unsound judgment have given us a vote in this year's FBS Independent Players of the Week awards. Week 1's top vote-getters: BYU quarterback Riley Nelson, BYU tight end Kaneakua Friel, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o and BYU punter/kicker Riley Stephenson.
• Please secure your homes against an incoming barrage of Apollo 13 jokes. We may have called Ohio beating Penn State correctly, and UTEP putting a scare into Oklahoma, but that just makes our first really big Inevitable Wrong Thing all the more potent, doesn't it? Houston, our pick to win C-USA if UCF is ineligible, got dropped 30-13 by Texas State (that's Texas STATE, yes) on Saturday, and this morning the school announced offensive coordinator Mike Nesbitt's resignation. Cue Louisiana Tech sports information, with the Stat of the Week:
For Franchione, whose previous track record of successful rebuilding jobs ended with his mediocre stint in College Station, Texas State's trajectory feels more familiar, albeit far ahead of schedule. "When I looked at the challenge of moving up a division," Franchione said, "I thought, this had Coach Fran's name on it."
• Poll notes. Because of the holiday weekend, the AP Poll will be released at noon ET on Tuesday. The Coaches' Poll, which we are apparently all still insisting is a real thing, also comes out tomorrow.
• NCAA quick hits. "A key figure in the ongoing corruption scandal at the Los Angeles County assessor's office said he gave cash and perks worth thousands of dollars to two USC athletes while they were still in school, actions that could violate college sports rules," says the Los Angeles Times. Pat Haden responds for USC.
• Injury report story hour.Connor Shaw will miss practice time with a shoulder injury sustained Thursday night against Vanderbilt ... Central Florida would keenly miss Latavius Murray against the likes of Ohio State ... Michigan cornerback Blake Countess is done for the year with a torn ACL.