Have a touchdown pass, America. Bryn Renner has so many of them to spare at the moment. (AP)
• North Carolina 37, Virginia 13. That sure got away from us in a hurry, didn't it? A 36-yard interception return by UNC's Tre Boston late in the first half broke the game open at 20-10, and apart from a lone third-quarter field goal the Cavaliers would not threaten again. Bryn Renner wrapped up the evening with 29-of-36 pass attempts completed, good for 315 yards and three touchdowns. His favored target, Quinshad Davis, recorded 178 receiving yards on 16 catches, and Gio Bernard added 57 yards rushing and 47 receiving yards with one score. Erik Highsmith caught two of Renner's three scoring passes. UVA is out of postseason contention but could still prevent Virginia Tech from going to a bowl with a win next Saturday in Blacksburg. [BOX | RECAP]
• This holiday season, give the gift of vintage sanctions. The COI has imposed a few additional penalties on Tennessee for violations dating from the Lane Kiffin era, which we're only mentioning here because Dave Hart saying "We will finally close the chapter on the prior actions of members of a previous football coaching staff," very shortly before he creates a second coaching staff he'll have to call "previous," gives us the grim giggles.
• What a nice gesture from a nice person. Per a Kansas sports info release: "In an effort to send his 2012 senior class out with a fitting farewell, Kansas football head coach Charlie Weis is offering to foot the bill for all KU students seeking admittance to Saturday's ‘Senior Night’ game versus Iowa State." Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET. No word on whether journalism students are included in the invitation.
• Shiny! The 2012 Nagurski Trophy finalists were announced Thursday. Still in the running for college football's National Defensive Player of the Year: Jadeveon Clowney, Jarvis Jones, Dee Milliner, Manti Te'o and Bjoern Werner. Winner to be announced on December 3.
• Tidbit of interest, I. Asked and answered:
• Tidbit of interest, II. DID YOU KNOW ... that Jordan Lynch's weeknight MACtion performance against Toledo this week made him the first player in FBS history to record more than 400 yards passing and 150 rushing in a single game?
• Roster blotter. We may be in for some symbolic Denard Robinson on Michigan's senior day ... two suspended BYU players are facing misdemeanor assault charges ... Sheldon Richardson will be suspended for Missouri's game against Syracuse ... Tennessee's Deion Bonner is suspended indefinitely.
• Schedule matters. BYU and UNLV have scheduled a home-and-home series to be played in 2014 and 2015, the schools announced yesterday, with UNLV also signing on to play a two-game series with Central Michigan in 2013 and 2016.
• Tweet of the day. In a perfect world ...